- What are synthetic diamonds, and what is their price?
- What process is used to make synthetic diamonds?
- To what extent are there synthetic diamonds available on the market in Antwerp?
Today, more and more synthetic diamonds are available on the market. The synthetic gems are manufactured in a laboratory using technological processes. These technologies are so advanced that synthetic diamonds are almost indistinguishable from the real ones. We explain to you how they are made and how deep in your pockets you will need to dig if you want to purchase one.
What are synthetic diamonds, and what is their price?
Synthetic diamonds are manufactured in laboratories. They are therefore not the result of a thousand-year-long chemical process, but of a much shorter chemical and physical process controlled by scientists. This results into a lower cost. However, at BAUNAT, we do not offer synthetic diamonds, even on request, because we attach great importance to the sentimental and financial value of real diamonds.
In fact, synthetic diamonds have the same crystal structure and chemical composition as their real counterparts. To distinguish them from each other is therefore extremely difficult. Only experts can see the difference, due to their experience. Because the distinction is so difficult, it is becoming easier to scam people. That is a major problem that also affects the Diamond Quarter in Antwerp. We therefore strongly recommend always asking for a certificate from a respected laboratory, such as the GIA.
What process is used to make synthetic diamonds?
Most synthetic diamonds are made by man through the following processes:
• HPHT - High Pressure High Temperature: During this process, a pressure device is used to provide the correct pressure and temperature and thus to allow the diamond to grow, just as during the natural process. A diamond seed is placed on the bottom of the pressure device. Soluble metal is melted until it dissolves into high-purity carbon. This is then transported to the seed so that it can settle on it and form a large synthetic diamond.
• CVD - Chemical Vapor Deposition: this is a completely different method in which the synthetic diamond is formed by a mixture of hydrocarbon gases. This method is considerably simpler, more flexible and more popular.
To what extent are there synthetic diamonds available on the market in Antwerp?
Synthetic diamonds were originally used for industrial purposes, such as cutting machines and electronics. However, they are now becoming increasingly popular on the consumer market, even in Antwerp. Many people ask questions about the origin of real diamonds. Thanks to the Kimberley Process, the worldwide diamond trade has been regularised, ensuring that almost all diamonds come from conflict-free areas.
Another reason is the rarity. The worldwide diamond stock will perhaps be exhausted someday. With synthetic diamonds, this is not the case, which ensures that the price is lower.
Diamond dealers all over the world, and therefore also in Antwerp, are increasingly being asked to provide synthetic diamonds. There are diamond dealers in Antwerp who have responded to that demand. We at BAUNAT are in favour of natural diamonds, and we therefore only sell natural diamonds with the right laboratory certificate.
What if you have further questions about the benefits of natural diamonds or are looking for one? Make sure to make an appointment for a visit to one of our showrooms or ask for advice online. The experts at BAUNAT are happy to advise and assist you.