Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- How do I choose the perfect wedding ring?
- How to buy an engagement ring?
- Which earrings are perfect for you?
- How to choose a diamond bracelet?
- Which ladies' necklace will make you sparkle?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Whqt types of gemstones are there?
Gold and diamond earrings are absolutely one of the best possible gifts for the modern woman. But who invented the first earrings? And what has been the significance of earrings in the fields of economics, politics and faith throughout the course of history?
- The concise history of earrings
- Earrings today
- Are you looking for the perfect pair of earrings?
- What you should know about earrings
Find out more below
Most viewed diamond jewels
1.50 carat diamond gradient bracelet in yellow goldFrom ￥ 26.370 (excl. VAT)
0.55 carat diamond design floral bangle bracelet in yellow goldFrom ￥ 18.070 (excl. VAT)
1.20 carat diamond eternity ring in red goldFrom ￥ 17.950 (excl. VAT)
1.00 carat solitaire halo ring in white gold with round diamondsFrom ￥ 19.620 (excl. VAT)
1.00 carat diamond flower ring in platinumFrom ￥ 6.910 (excl. VAT)
- Gold, silver and bronze earrings were already known in the Minoan civilization (3000 - 1200 BC). They were worn as body decorations. They may even be older, as older mummies have been found with pierced ears.
- In the Middle Ages, women often wore jewellery in their hair, and their hair came below the ears. So earrings were superfluous at that time.
- Popularity increased In the 16th century - among men, too. William Shakespeare and Francis Drake, among others, often wore earrings. Sailors also wore earrings symbolically.
- By the 60s, more and more women had started piercing their ears. This had not been done for some time. Around this time, earrings also acquired additional meanings: as a sign of non-conformism in hippies, as a tribute to their roots for black people, or as an expression of sexual orientation in men.
The first people to wear earrings
The history of earrings goes back a long way. Around 5000 years or more.
Cultural references to earrings
Pirates with earrings
That pirates wore gold earrings is no myth, but an historical fact.
Earrings and political movements
Women should never go without earrings. Passing on them is an opportunity missed.
- What makes your gold diamond earrings a delight to the ear?
- Which earrings suit short or long hair best?
- Which diamond stud earrings go with my hairstyle?
- Which earrings would be the perfect finishing touch to my wedding outfit?
- How do you make a fashion statement with your outfit and earrings at a party with colleagues?