Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- How do I choose the perfect wedding ring?
- How to buy an engagement ring?
- Which earrings are perfect for you?
- How to choose a diamond bracelet?
- Which ladies' necklace will make you sparkle?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Whqt types of gemstones are there?
For many couples, their lives hardly change after they say 'I do.' They might already live together and even have children. But this was almost unthinkable a century ago. In the past, getting married was a more pragmatic occasion. But wedding rings have been found which are over 3,000 years old.
What does a wedding ring symbolize? Wedding rings symbolize the love between two people. It’s an expression of commitment and unity and symbolizes eternal love. Wedding rings are exchanged between spouses after getting married and are made to last forever. The hand on which the ring is worn, differs from religion to religion.
Read about the history of wedding rings here
- Wedding rings in early history
- Wedding rings and superstition
- Wedding rings around the world
- Why is getting married still important today?
- How do you choose the right wedding ring?
- Why buy wedding rings without getting married?
Most viewed diamond jewels
1.50 carat ring in red gold with round diamondsFrom ￥ 26.120 (excl. VAT)
0.30 carat diamond stackable alliance in yellow gold with marquise designFrom ￥ 7.610 (excl. VAT)
1.00 carat solitaire halo ring in white gold with round diamondsFrom ￥ 19.380 (excl. VAT)
0.90 carat white golden solitaire pendant with round diamondFrom ￥ 14.910 (excl. VAT)
1.06 carat diamond design necklace in platinumFrom ￥ 16.010 (excl. VAT)
Although a gold wedding ring used to be a sign that two people belonged to each other, now it symbolises unity, commitment and unconditional love.
Gimmal rings were especially popular in England during the Middle Ages. A gimmal ring consists of two rings that can be attached to each other. The man and the woman would each wear part of it after the engagement. During the wedding ceremony, the man would slide his part onto the woman's finger so that the two parts would become one again.
According to tradition you cannot make jokes about wedding rings or let them be worn by anyone else
Superstition on the wedding day
- Dropping the wedding rings: According to superstition, the bride and groom must take extra care when putting on the rings on the wedding day. A dropped ring will result in automatic discord in the marriage. According to other myths, the groom will be the first to die if he drops the ring.
- The wedding ring gets stuck on the finger: If the wedding ring doesn't slide all the way to the bottom of the woman's finger, then the woman will be dominant in the marriage. If the man manages to slide the ring onto his wife's finger easily, then he will probably be in charge.
In Arabic countries only the woman gets a gold wedding ring. The man gets a ring made of a simpler metal such as steel. In Arabic culture men should be humble. So gold rings do not traditionally belong here.
Whereas wedding rings symbolise the unity of two individuals in Western culture, they bring together two families in Arabic culture.
Which hand should you wear your wedding ring on?
- Financial advantage: Getting married is always advantageous financially speaking. Inheritance rights automatically go to the other spouse when one of them dies. Being married is also advantageous when taking out a loan.
- Security and recognition: Many couples view a signed marriage certificate as extra recognition of their commitment to each other. You can show your eternal love for each other to the outside world by each wearing a wedding ring.
- The symbolism of marriage: Love and symbolism are obviously very important factors. In Belgium, LGBT+ couples have also been able to make their love for each other official by getting married since 2003. The most LGBT+ couples in the world get married in Belgium as a percentage.
How can you personalise wedding rings?
When two people find their true soulmate, they like to give each other a symbol of their eternal love They will certainly find the right ring in the wedding ring collection from BAUNAT. You will definitely find the perfect wedding rings to demonstrate your eternal love in our collection.
Weddings have been highly symbolic since the beginning of human history. So it is only logical for wedding rings to be symbolic too. They stand for unity, fidelity, love, and commitment.
Read more about marriage and wedding rings
Now you know a great deal about the history of wedding rings: from their early origins in Ancient Egypt to the present day, from superstition to ways to give them extra meaning for you. Do you know as much about the wedding ceremony itself? You should definitely read these blogs to learn more. They describe traditions abroad and how to plan your wedding in the most efficient way possible.