Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- How do I choose the perfect wedding ring?
- How to buy an engagement ring?
- Which earrings are perfect for you?
- How to choose a diamond bracelet?
- Which ladies' necklace will make you sparkle?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Whqt types of gemstones are there?
Many different stones fall under the category of precious or semi-precious stones, but the sapphire is one of the best known of all. Its beauty, rarity and durability are astonishing. Just like ruby, sapphire consists of the mineral corundum. The sky-blue colour is the result of contaminated iron particles in the stone. But why is buying a blue sapphire ring such an excellent idea and what is the story and history behind this special stone?
- Where does the name sapphire come from?
- What is the symbolism behind sapphires?
- Why is the blue sapphire often called a 'royal precious stone'?
- At what occasion are sapphires appropriate?
- How can I incorporate blue and a blue sapphire in particular into my wedding?
- Why should I buy sapphire jewellery from BAUNAT?
Most viewed diamond jewels
Halo solitaire ring in white gold with a round sapphire and small diamondsFrom ￥ 15.540 (excl. VAT)
Halo solitaire ring in red gold with a round sapphire and small diamondsFrom ￥ 15.540 (excl. VAT)
Halo solitaire ring in platinum with a round sapphire and small diamondsFrom ￥ 15.930 (excl. VAT)
Halo necklace in red gold with a central sapphire and round diamondsFrom ￥ 14.750 (excl. VAT)
Halo necklace in white gold with a central sapphire and round diamondsFrom ￥ 14.750 (excl. VAT)
What is a sapphire and in what colours are they found?
What is the difference with a blue diamond?
High-quality sapphires are certainly not of an inferior beauty compared to diamonds, although they do sparkle less. Buy a blue diamond or blue sapphire? The choice is yours!
The sapphire's sky-blue colour is the reason the stone has been attributed so many powers. Alternative healers believe that sapphires contain energetic and healing properties. In India, they were convinced that blue sapphires could open the third eye. That is the point for accessing exceptional wisdom and insight. When the ancient Greeks consulted the Oracle of Delphi, they always had a blue sapphire with them.
The sapphire's sky-blue colour is one reason that the sapphire is attributed spiritual properties.
Sapphires decorated the clothes and jewellery of many kings and queens.
And Diana also had other blue sapphire jewellery. As such, Kate is now the owner of a gorgeous pair of sapphire earrings. The pair matches her sapphire engagement ring and were part of the wedding gift from King Fahd of Saudi Arabia.
Three famous sapphires
- Napoleon's sapphire engagement ring: The ring that Napoleon gave to Josephine is set with a spectacular pear-shaped sapphire and diamond in a mirror image. This sapphire ring in a Toi & Moi design is thus an ideal engagement ring. The ring was sold at auction for 1.17 million dollars in 2013.
- Stuart Sapphire: The Stuart Sapphire is one of the precious stones decorating the English Crown Jewels. This sapphire has a rather turbulent history. Its location was often unknown throughout history. In any case, it was taken to France after the Glorious Revolution in 1688. In 1807, the stone returned to the United Kingdom from Italy. Today, the Stuart Sapphire can be seen in the Tower of London.
- The Blue Belle of Asia: This unique precious stone was sold for 17 million dollars in 2014. It broke the record for the most expensive sapphire in the world sold at a public auction. It was bought in 1937 as a gift for Queen Elizabeth II for her coronation. However, the Queen never received it. The necklace the sapphire is set in, is now part of the private collection of a Saudi collector.
Which month has the sapphire as its birth stone?
What applications are blue sapphires used for?
According to alternative healers, sapphires have spiritual and healing properties.
To what should you pay attention when buying a sapphire?
A kiss on the hand may feel very, very good, but a diamond and sapphire bracelet lasts forever
Start the most special day of your life in style by arriving at your wedding in a blue wedding car. Light-blue classic cars are suitable for couples who like a vintage style, and navy-blue luxury cars are the perfect choice for newly-weds who prefer a classic style.
Golden tip: Choose blue bridesmaids' dresses from the same collection as the wedding dress.
Our experts only work with the highest-quality materials. You are then assured that your sapphire ring or necklace will always be of the very best quality. We also buy our precious stones directly from the source. We thereby avoid unnecessary intermediaries and we can sell our jewellery online 30% to 50% cheaper.
Can you still not decide which engagement ring or pair of earrings to buy? That's absolutely normal. BAUNAT's jewellery experts are always available to provide advice when finding the right jewellery to suit your style.
Also consider having sapphire jewellery custom-made. Working with our experts you can design jewellery entirely how you want it. BAUNAT provides a 3D drawing so you can see what your jewellery will look like beforehand.
Find out more about other precious stones
There is much more to discover about sapphires and other precious stones or precious metals. Would you like to become a real jewellery expert? Then make sure you read the blogs below.